Listen to Joyful in Hope


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 30, 2011

Measurement...........




I feel as parents, we are always looking for ways to measure ourselves on the job we did raising our children and more importantly for me, what does my relationship look like.  This hits me harder as I have 2 older children:  Michael, who is almost 22 and then Amber, who is 17. (thank you Lord, we still have an 12 yr old at home, as I am not ready for the next stage of life)   I feel our job as parents is never done, but with the death of my father, I realize how much that relationship can change.

So.........one night, mine was measured.  Mike and I went out to dinner, just the two of us, and as we were eating our appetizer, Mike mentioned we should see if Michael would want to join us.  Now mind you, it is Mike and I, just the two of us, and at our age and stage, the conversation is not the most stimulating for a almost 22 year old to participate in.  So, out of "wanting to be nice" we called Michael and invited him to dinner with us........and would you believe it, he joined us.  He came, he ate, he talked, he laughed and he said "thank you."  We then went our separate ways...........and I felt very accomplished as a parent, but more so, loved as a mom!!

No comments: